Ingersoll CM Systems was founded August 10th, 1970 as CM Systems Incorporated. Owned and operated by three former Wickes Machine Tool Company (Saginaw, MI) engineers, CM Systems primarily functioned as a sales and design group for Crankshaft Machine Company (Jackson, MI).
CM Systems designed and developed multiple new crankshaft manufacturing products for CMC through 1981. It was at that point that the relationship was severed and CM Systems, now under sole ownership of Alan Heffron, began its rise as one of the premier American-owned crankshaft machine tool companies.
In 1983, continued sales growth allowed CM Systems to move into a new 21,000 square foot (1950 square meter) building built on a seven acre lot in Midland, MI (where the company still operates today).
Largely driven by the successful development of the rotary broaching concept, CM Systems continued to grow and expand its customer base throughout the 1980's. In 1990, after several years of partnering on tooling development for the rotary broach, CM Systems agreed to be acquired by Ingersoll International. Recognizing the value of both brand names, the company was then renamed to Ingersoll CM Systems.
ICMS continued to grow under new management by diversifying its line of products for crankshaft manufacturing and by its capability to engineer and project manage complete crankshaft systems. Contracts for these systems were awarded to ICMS by several major companies, including Land Rover and Iveco.
Throughout the 1990's, the company went through several expansions and now consists of three buildings totaling nearly 70,000 square feet (6500 square meters).
In 2003, Ingersoll CM Systems was acquired by Dalian Machine Tool Group (Dalian, China). The company continues to operate under this name today as a wholly-owned, independent American company.